Thursday, December 20, 2007

Crazy Old People

Anybody that has ever been to Phoenix during the winter knows that we have a plethora of old people here. The most common encounters with them is on the road; when you are traveling along at 50 MPH and suddenly you have to come to a screeching stop.

When you live in far East Mesa (the Land of Green Rock as I like to call it) the crazy old people encounters are year round, as their lovely double-wides surround my neighborhood. On the street adjacent to ours there is a particularly extra crazy old person, I'll call him Stew.

The first time I saw Stew I had to stop and stare because it's not every day that you see a man in his 80's ridding a bike with a very large basket on the back supporting an even larger canopy. I wondered what he was doing and then carried on with what I was doing. After, many Stew sitings (in 100+ weather) I realized that he was picking trash up off the streets (with one of those trash pincher thingies). I thought to myself, "O what I nice old man, using his time to help keep our neighborhood clean."

Now that I work at Kids Corner before school I am always driving home at 8:30. This seems to be Stew's scheduled time for 'cleaning' the streets. As I approached my house the other day I saw Stew out in front of my neighbor's house. As I got closer, I realized he was digging through his black garbage can! He was pulling garbage out of the can and placing it in his basket!

I am not sure what happens to man to make him want to dig through an other mans trash, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with age.

No comments: